Fall Armyworm is causing devastating damage to small-scale farms across the world. If your organisation is involved with training and capacity building for farmers in Africa or Asia then can get free Fall Armyworm mobile training for your farmers today.
1. Who made this mobile training?
The training content was developed on an innovative microlearning training platform called learn.ink with the support of Feed the Future and Land O'Lakes. It was created under the expert guidance of Dan McGrath, Professor Emeritus Oregon State University. Dan has over 25 years of experience as an entomologist and was one of the key contributors to the Feed the Future Tools to Combat Fall Armyworm in Africa. Digital learning designer Finn Richardson supported in translating the technical content into a simple conversational learning experience that's clear and accessible for small-scale farmers and agronomists.
2. Who is the training for and how does it work?
This free free Fall Armyworm mobile training is designed for small-scale farmers, and those who work with them. It helps them learn how to reduce the risk of a devastating Fall Armyworm infestation.
The training has a few key advantages for farmers working on mobiles in rural regions.
- No app install required: The URL is designed to work on any smartphone browser world-wide, this means farmers can access the training instantly
- Register with phone number: Farmers can access the course by creating an account with their phone number, they can register with a 6 digit code sent to them via SMS
- Designed for low data connections: the training is optimised to work for low bandwidth data connections, making it easier for farmers to access
- Progress is saved across sessions: your farmers can come back and access the training at anytime, picking up where they left off
The training is currently available in English. (We'd love to see this content translated into more languages, if you'd be interested in supporting this effort then please get in touch).
3. How can you share the training with your farmer network?
Two courses have been developed on the learn.ink system that you can share with your farming network anywhere in the world. These are:
- FAW Seedling Scout - farmers will learn about managing risk for FAW attack at the seedling stage
- FAW Cob Scout - farmers will learn about managing FAW risks at the cob development stage
You can share these right now with your farming network, all you have to do is share the link below, access is totally FREE
4. How can you get a fully editable version of the training?
To get access to fully editable course content which you can customise for your country or organisation, please use the following guide.
Step 1: go to the Learn.ink website and hit the "Try for free" button
Step 2: sign-up with your email address, then use the magic link you get via email to proceed (please use your organisation email not personal email)
Step 3: go through the steps to create an organisation name and unique organisation URL, then you should get access to the full web platform where you can go through the steps to learn how the training editor works
Step 4: currently access to the free FAW open source courses is available by request only. It is FREE to get access to the editable versions of the courses, to do so please schedule a demo with us or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upon receipt of your requests our team can follow up with you, and upload the editable courses in your workspace, giving you the two courses seen below.
4. How to learn more
This training was developed as part of the FAW Tech Prize. It represents the continued development of the learn.ink (originally Farm.ink) tech platform capabilities after the prize, which we are now excited to make available to any farmer and any organisation, anywhere in the world.
To date Learn.ink digital courses have been deployed by organisations across 35 countries, from commercial agribusinesses to international NGOs. You can read a range of case studies about current organisations using learn.ink, including ILRI's Kenyan dairy farmer training and 6th Grain's cost effective training for farmers. Find out more about the best online training tools for your specific country, and much more.
To find out more about the learn.ink platform, please schedule a demo with us.